A victim of natural calamities and the last great world war, the Manila Cathedral is the 8th cathedral to be constructed on its present location. Known as the Minor Basilica de la Inmaculada Concepcion, the Manila Cathedral was the seat of the Archbishop of Manila from the time of the Spanish Colonial Period up to the present.
Designed by Fernando Ocampo, the present Manila Cathedral was applied a striking mix of Renaissance, Neo-Romanesque and Neo-Byzantine motifs. The new Manila Cathedral was blessed and inaugurated on feast day of the Immaculate Concepcion, December 8, 1958. The façade is graced by statues of famous saints sculpted by Italian artists in Roman travertine stone. The statues of the old cathedral were made of molave (a Philippine hardwood). The church also features arcaded portals and semi-circular arches, stylized acanthus leaves, rosettes, lentils, stars and attached columns are some characteristics of Neo-Romanesque and Neo-Byzantine architecture.