Fort Santiago was the heart of Intramuros, a little city within the walled city of Intramuros. It was built by the Spanish colonists in 1571 after they established the city of Manila. It was occupied by the British in 1762 and then captured by the Americans in 1898. During World War II, Fort Santiago was used as a prison and dungeons by the Japanese Imperial Army. It was restored and converted to a shrine in 1953.
Location: Plaza Luis Complex, cor. A. Soriano Jr. Ave. and Gen. Luna St., Intramuros, City of Manila, Metro Manila